Thursday, January 21, 2010

Transfer Flashback

I wrote this last year during spring semester finals week of my sophomore year of stress...I mean college. It's interesting to look at where I was at, in my mind-set with school---I was under the impression that Fall 2009 would be very different from what actually happened. Excuse the typos and the misspelled words, this was written on my old MySpace "blog".

Monday, May 18, 2009
"Well school has been pretty slow as well except for the past maybe, 3 weeks. It's like the beginning of the semester is dragging along just to torture you with projects n assignments n essays, then suddenly oh hello there spring break--->BAM finals are in a week! You're F'd! Haha luckily I did pay attention while school dragged along for most of the semester. I am sooo rambling it's ridiculous.

Anyways, so I'm really kinda disappointed in myself. I thought that by now I would be ready for transfer to a CSU or a UC if I became some kind of study nazi in the library---of coarse I decided to have more fun than last year instead haha. Last fall I did apply at a few places n got accepted by Sonoma, but by then the whole Evan n Ben n me living together plan fell apart when Evan decided that he didn't feel like going north to another CSU. Can I please let all of you know that the school that you attend makes no difference on what job you end up getting unless you're going for a huge career; doctor, lawyers, big time business-person. Let me get this through everybody's head also, there is NOTHING wrong with going to a community college for the first two years. It doesn't mean you're any less intelligent than someone at another type of school.

Continuing the topic of transfering to a CSU....yea so I got accepted to Sonoma but I have no plans of going all the way up there. I simply have no reason to go that far n spend a ton of money that neither me or my parents have. Basically I'd like to get through as much school as I can without ruining my credit score n plunging into a hole of debt especially because my parents would be paying for most of it. Which I'm very glad that they're doing. I know that money isn't easy to come by these days. Alot of us are looking for second jobs n more hours to work. It definitely sucks but I'm sure it'll get better soon.

I also applied to SDSU, which shot me down [I saw that one comin] along with the other 56,000 transfer applicants that were denied. So, they can suck it. For now I'll just be goin to IVC n Saddleback to finish up my last I think 6? credits hat I need then I'll probably go to Fullerton because it's close. Financially it's a good plan so that's what's gunna happen unless I won the lottery.

Dinner's ready. So I should end my rant or ramblings that really had no point. I just needed to let that out I guess. Have a lovely evening. I'll be eating dinner, meanwhile being Twitter-spammed by Nura n Breanna n Kevin like always. Jesus, Nura you update your Twitter too much ahhhhhhhhh!
"

I can tell that I was VERY tired of listening to everyone's bullshit about what made their college better than mine. The only difference was that they had a better football team (IVC doesn't even have one by the way) and a higher price, meanwhile I enjoyed a lower cost at the same exact classes in smaller classroom sizes---no giant lecture halls for me! Suckers! In fact, I've avoided what so many of you have done, ruin your credit and bury yourself in a grave of debt. The only thing I'm missing out on by going to community college is the parties and the dorm life of a 4-year university. And ya know what, I couldn't care less. I would probably drive my roommate up the wall with my OCD and spastic study habits. Oh and one last lovely benefit, I never got my freshman 15. Hooray for not getting fat haha. I could go on, but I should be reading right now.

Something to think about: Would you pay to go away to school for the "experience" or stay home to save? Or do you even have an option (I could've if we weren't middle class....stupid government)?

2 comments:

  1. I always wanted to stay home and save. But then I got into OSU and my family really seemed to want me to go and I really wanted to go for the change.The fact that I had enough scholarships to pay only 1,000 more than in-state tuition played a big part in my decision.

    Of course, here I am 2 years later, back home and attending the community college like I wanted to. I can't say that this was the smartest way to go monetarily, but I can say that it did not ruin my credit score, but in fact increased it because I DO have student loans and it is healthiest for you to have 3 lines of credit open. I have 1 bank credit card, 1 department store credit card, and my student loan. I make monthly payments on everything but the loan and while my bank card is racked up pretty high, i still have a credit score in the high 600 range.

    But to answer your question, what I basically did is went away for school for the experience. It was not my original goal, but I ended up paying 30,000 dollars for general ed instead of the jc route. But i do not regret it. I learned a LOT about myself and what I want out of life. To me, it was worth it, even though I know a lot of people think that it's dumb that i moved home and that i spent so much money just for my gen ed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what Evan said too, he had fun and wouldn't change his decision to go away to school because it helped him learn what the real world was like---more real than living at home...buying your own food n things that guys aren't great at lol---and what he really wanted. It cost him alot but it was worth it. I hated it because it gave me such emotional hardship.

    Some people can do it and other can't. I know you worked hard to earn those scholarships. By the way, nice credit score Raewyn lol better than my non-existent score!

    ReplyDelete