Saturday, January 23, 2010

4 Day Storm

I'm generally not a big fan of rain. But this week it was a nice change to see....well except the part where everyone took the umbrellas and I was left to run across campus in the pouring rain. This picture was taken after I jumped into my car from Day 1 of the 4 day storm. Immediately afterwards I drove over to Cheryl's house where I fluffed my jacket in the dryer before running to her car to pick up her friend Ashley. The 2 of us were on our way to Corner Bakery when Cheryl's grandmother calls (she lives with her grandparents because they're awesome). Her voicemail told us that there was "a tornado coming straight for Irvine!" and of course my immediate response to her was, "there's no way there's a fucking tornado in Orange County guys....that's just ridiculous". Little did we know that there was a water spout in San Clemente and all of LA was flooded---a few lucky people had kayaks to get home. Unfortunately for all of the excited kids that wanted to see a tornado, there was no real tornado touching down anywhere close to us, or even at all. We just ended up watching the news for an hour and a half inside Ashley's house to keep Cheryl's grandma from freaking out. Even the newsmen and weather people said to stay indoors until the Weather Service gave an "all clear". I don't think I've ever had to wait for an "all clear" in Southern California----though I'm sure alot of people have that are near the regular burn areas. California has a tendency to randomly catch fire. Fire! The herpes of natural disasters! You never know when it'll flare up!....that was terrible, anyways...

Apparently I was wrong about the tornadoes because about 2 days later there was a tornado (small and short-lived, but existent) that heaved a sideyard shed into a strawberry field and destroyed a large fence in a nearby city. So the weather has gone a little crazy? But hey we go our much-needed water and some entertainment out of it. The worst thing that happens with "El Nino" is mud slides, in which case, I hope you don't live on a hill. Oh and by the way more rain is on the way next week! Lovely.

1 comment:

  1. tornado did touch down in Costa Mesa on Tuesday. =]
    and then there was a couple more on Thursday! (including one in Ventura)

    ReplyDelete