Thursday, November 19, 2009

UC Tuition Increase

I thought that this video/PSA* was perfect to sum up the current problem in our educational system. College is becoming unaffordable, not that it was "affordable" before--but more so than ever before.



I worry that my brother and everyone else his age (he graduates from high school this year) are not going to be able to get into, or let alone PAY for a college education. I don't know what he's wanting to major in or what his intended-career path is, but college needs to be an option.

I'm still in community college, and I worry that I won't even be able to transfer half the time because of Spring semesters being closed to everyone. If I miss out on one class then I have to wait an entire year longer to re-apply to the CSU system.

I won't be going to a UC school, but I feel bad that everyone in the UC system is now getting wallet-raped with tuition. Next year it will cost my friend at UCI: $10,000 for the year. I mean, sure that's great compared to going somewhere like Chapman (private university) where it's $30-45,000 per year. But if nobody can afford to go to college then nobody will. Or the community college system will be flooded even more than it is now. My school had a 30% enrollment rise this year. Hmm I wonder why everyone suddenly is going to community college? It's a great deal for your money. But overall, our education system is screwed up, can somebody please fix it already? Jebus!


Protests @ UC Davis - http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=70635&provider=top
Protests @ UCLA - http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_13817925
$10k Per Year - http://blogs.laweekly.com/ladaily/community/uc-tuition-hits-the-roof-10k-a/

*video done by UC students, FilmEd alumni from Foothill Ranch

2 comments:

  1. For Cal Poly's tuition increase it was voted on during the winter for this Fall and the following year's quarters. We had a vote whether or not to increase tuition by $300 a quarter for at least 1 year. If we didn't pass the vote our tuition would stay the same but we wouldn't get any more college based fees. Without the increase our departments wouldn't be able to afford any new equipment or even maintain our current equipment so our science labs would suffer and our Kinesiology department's technology wouldn't be able to keep up with the times. It sucked that we had to raise the tuition but it was nice being able to have a choice. It might have been easier for the UC students to accept the increase if they had a vote on the pros and cons of a tuition increase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, but I think your school may be better about fee increases....or something, sounds more democratic about it. There's not much of an option for most UC schools, they either will increase fees or risk losing staff, material, or worse closing?

    ReplyDelete