Monday, November 30, 2009

All I Want For Christmas

Photobucket
Ohh the holidays, such a wonderful time of year. Time for putting up the Christmas tree and celebrating togetherness and family, love and be grateful. But wait a second, what are you getting everyone for Christmas this year? Some toys, a new car maybe, or maybe new clothes for your kids.

This Christmas for my family is gunna be extra tight. Mom's paycheck is now divided up over 12 months instead of 9 months by the school district, and dad doesn't usually get paid on time. Of course I do have a job, which means I get to buy presents with my own money, no assistance from the parents like when I was younger. On top of all of this, our economy isn't the greatest. Most people won't be going out and spending extravagant amounts of money this year, or at least that's my prediction.

The whole money issue adds some stress to getting gifts for one another but it shouldn't be too bad, I hope. Nobody seems to have much of a list this year anyways. Every year I write up a list with stars next to the presents I prefer (I hate faking happiness on Christmas for gifts I don't like at all), the prices, and what store to find them in.

I think this year I'm gunna stick to asking for things that I NEED. I don't really see anything amazing out there that I want so bad that I'd put a financial burden on someone for. I have a camera, I have a laptop, my car runs fine right now. So maybe it's time for everyone to stop buying a shitload of crap nobody wants and think of things that people NEED. Or better yet, use.

You can't always get what you want, so the song goes. But its Christmas and if you don't get your child that train set they've been screaming about for a month you'll go deaf and grandpa will turn his hearing-aid off. Ok, so get them the train set, but get them other things also that aren't a waste. Kids don't NEED a million toys.

"But my little Suzy has to have the latest and greatest toys!"...uhh have you ever seen a kid play with a mound of toys? There's one or two favorites and the rest just sit and collect dust. My boyfriend's younger brother has two or three train sets and I havent seen him play with them for the past three months, I'd be donating them to the Goodwill by now.

But hey, he's not my kid. My kids will probably have fewer toys, I hate spoiled little kids. And sadly they're really common here in Orange County. I got to watch a kid about three or four years old, scream and cry over not getting the pack of gum he picked up at Blockbuster where I work. Jesus Christ people! Teach your kids what no means or you'll regret it down the road when they decide that you're not worth listening to when you tell them "no, you can't go...."

So I'm going to aim to get each person on my shopping list one thing that they need, and if I don't know what they need then I'll get something that they will use alot. Because why buy a bunch of stuff that's just going to sit there? That's the stuff your friends and family end up return.

Don't get me wrong, happy kids on Christmas is the best. But there's a big difference between a happy child and a spoiled one. Christmas is a time for being with your family, love, and for some the birth of Jesus. There's even Kwanzaa (I don't know, nor have I ever met someone who celebrates this holiday) and Hanukkah. Each of these is about love, not buying presents---unless you're falling for the materialistic crock that our consumer society advertises during the holiday season. Keep it simple, its the thought that counts. Not the price-tag.

[the picture at the top was found via StumbleUpon, its not my work but I love it so all credit to the artist]

2 comments: