Tuesday, January 25, 2011

First Day of Spring Classes

Today was the first day of spring classes, and I'm quite proud to say that I made it to school on time even with 2 traffic jams. The usual right before the I-55 and then on the 57 past Angel Stadium where a car had broken down in the center lane.

I managed to not be late to any of my 4 classes either :]

  1. Film Music
  2. California Cultures
  3. Intro to American Culture
  4. Women in American Society

As usual I've found a look-alike to someone I know. If you went to high school with me you'd know him as "Paul the Freshman". Right out of the corner of my eye I spotted him, seated in the row next to me. I had to hold myself back from screaming "woahhh shit you grew a beard!" It was bizarre.

One thing that bothered me today during 2 of my classes. I noticed that I was one of only a few white girls in the classroom. The color didn't matter to me, but it was the size! I was the only non-obese white girl. Really? Out of 45 people, there were 25 girls and about a third of the girls were overweight. That just makes me sad.

We all have an inner social pyramid, and some people have it stacked up by race and others by attractiveness. I don't subscribe to either of those, but it seems that I'm very hard on overweight people. I'm not really sorry when I saw "eww gross" because everyone should dress for their body. Not just wear the same tight t-shirt that the other girls are wearing. It's unflattering and only amplifies the "omg look at me" effect. It's like when you see someone, guy or girl, wearing neon pants. You don't notice their face or what they're doing. All that registers is GUY WITH NEON PANTS. It's the same thing.

There were countless people today dressed for meeting new classmates, n some of them appeared to have gotten dressed in the dark. Honestly I don't care about the people who wear workout clothes or a college sweatshirt to class. It's comfortable and that's a big thing for me when I buy clothes--so I understand. Plus who give a crap what your classmates think if you're not even allowed to talk during class. Woohoo lecture classes make everyone a complete mystery n prone to assuming who their fellow peers are.

One more thing, err more of a question. Why in the world does every guy have to douse themselves in Axe or any other overpowering cologne? It's always seemed worse for the first week of classes. I understand trying to make a good first impression but dude, lay off on the smelly stuff. I can't handle sitting next to anyone like that, it's terribly distracting.

So, quick summary.

  • finding look-alikes of people you know can be creepy.
  • wear clothes that don't "yell" at the people around you.
  • don't come to class smelling like you bathe in Axe or other cologne.

No comments:

Post a Comment