Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lifestyle Choices & Cancer

Photobucket
Reading about health related topics is always interesting. Being informed about these issues is important, especially when you start getting older---I may not be old yet but I'd like to stay looking and feeling young for as long as possible. I like feeling healthy, who doesn't? Lately I've been more watchful about what I'm eating, how much, etc. Mostly because I wanted to feel better about myself, in my skin. But also because bathing suit season is coming up quickly. I rather not feel like a cow in a bikini, whether other people think I look like one or not.
Photobucket Photobucket
Its intimidating knowing that someday a doctor could tell you that something is wrong. And I know that there's a history of cancer in my family. Breast cancer, skin cancer, and colon cancer. Reading an article on Yahoo, "Up to a Third of Breast Cancers Could Be Avoided", made me think. Its not just your family history that puts you at risk anymore, your lifestyle choices affect it as well. I feel like this is a bit obvious for anyone in the US being that there's a serious obesity problem.
"It's hard to lose weight, but it's not impossible.
The potential benefit of preventing cancer is worth it."
Being heavy, smoking, drinking, and etc raises your risk. So why not skip the cookies or the tanning session? If it makes you less likely to get cancer, then why not go for it? Live better, live longer---sounds good to me.
  • More than a couple of drinks a day can boost the risk of breast cancer by 4 to 10 percent.
  • 25 to 30 percent of breast cancer cases could be avoided if women were thinner and exercised more.
  • Lifestyle changes in areas such as smoking, diet, exercise and sun exposure can play a significant role in risk for several cancers.
Theoretically this gives you some control over your risk, if you choose to take your health seriously. Great news for all you health nuts out there! So stay well, haha like those Kaiser Permanente commercials say, "Live well and thrive".

Related links:
FDA weighs steps to curb tanning bed cancer risks
Pregnancy 'reduces breast cancer risks'
A healthy diet may trim breast cancer risk

*http://www.cancer.org
* http://www.iarc.fr/

No comments:

Post a Comment