Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Great Grandmothers

Photobucket
R.I.P. Great Grandma Hellman
94 years old---Mom, grandma, Hurricane Katrina survivor
I only met her 3 times but she was a sweet old woman. Cried easily when she talked about her home in Louisiana. She told Evan that I was just "the prettiest little thing" :]

It reminds me of my own great grandmother, though I have not seen her in quite a few years. We all just celebrated my little brother's 18th birthday, which was her 96th birthday as well. It's crazy to think of all the things that she's seen change.Being born in 1914? Damn, there's so much! And here's just a few of them:
  • The Roaring 20's - women's sufferage
  • Prohibition
  • World War I
  • The Great Depression
  • World War II
  • Red Scare/Communism
  • Creation of the CIA & FBI
  • Modernization of the automobile
  • Vietnam War
  • Sexual Revolution
  • First man on the moon
  • Invention of the first computer
  • Invention of the internet
These ladies have seen it all, literally. Sometimes I feel old after seeing a "10 Year Anniversary Edition" of Toy Story 1, but hell, they went through everything! I wonder if Great Grandma Green will make it to 100 years old....I know she's satisfied with the amount of time that she's lived to this point. Its just so epic of a time span:

No comments:

Post a Comment