Tuesday, February 8, 2011

College & its Alternatives

"a report based on the book Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses found that after two years of college, 45% of students learned little to nothing. After four years, 36% of students learned almost nothing."

Just read "8 Alternatives to College", here's my thoughts......

I like that he specifies that kids from 18 - 22 should try out new things before going to college to break out of the system that has had them stuck. I understand this completely, there's alot of lazy people just coasting through their first two years.

Quick summary of Altucher's alternatives to college:

  • Start a business.
  • Work for a charity.
  • Travel the world.
  • Create art.
  • Master a sport.
  • Master a game.
  • Write a book.
  • Make people laugh.

Remember, James Altcher is focusing on "ambitious kids". So this plan might not be for everyone. We all have certain career aspirations and dreams, but those things will never happen without some perseverance.

I can see what he means, college is getting more expensive by the semester. I'm currently working part-time, living at home, and attending college as a full-time student. It's tough sometimes but luckily student loans exist and my parents were kind enough to pay for me to go to community college for 3 years. The alternatives are good options for those dying to escape the slaughter house that is currently our education system. Yea, sorry California but your college system is fucked up still. There's times when you feel like you're just another student ID number to your administration, and getting a break can be refreshing enough to make you want to go back and start/finish that degree.

College degrees are practically mandatory now, and graduating high school is a mundane achievement. In the past all you needed was that high school education. I've seen some of my parents' grade cards and they were able to take more trade focused classes that aren't offered anymore. Metal working, motorcycle safety, home economics, Foods 101, etc! None of those were offered 2003-2007 when I was in high school. And now that I'm in my fourth year of college I can see what that does.....no real world experience. Life isn't a series of SAT style tests, it takes more thought than that.

So what I think Altucher's main point is to opt for the "alternative route" which is experience. You can't mount it on your wall in a shiny placard but its valuable. Experience complements any degree, and often times it makes the difference of whether you get the job or not. So maybe one could merge Altucher's suggestions and do a bit of both?

I'll be in school for another year and a half to finish my degree. No I don't LOVE college, but neither of my parents went and I want to give them that. To make them proud, and to prove that I have a good head on my shoulders. But I also refuse to coast through it and waste the loan money I'm going to have to pay back in the end.

The real question is: is going to college worth it to you? For me it is, but hey we're all different :)

Here's the actual article: http://www.jamesaltucher.com/2011/01/8-alternatives-to-college/

My tips for making it through:

  • Start out with the best grade possible, the 1st test starts you off on a high note.
  • Raise your hand during class discussions (it's not obnoxious).
  • Do not take the elevator, taking the stairs will get your blood flowing enough to wake up.
  • PAY ATTENTION and take notes.
  • Going on Facebook during class = the teacher murdering you with words.
  • Take classes that interest you if possible (sorry nobody likes GE).
  • Your teacher assigns 50 pages of reading per lecture? Do at least half of it.
  • See the prize at the end, you're getting a degree for a reason. Don't forget that!

1 comment:

  1. Well put! Regarding the quote I feel like there can be two reasons why that many people don't learn during their first two years.
    1. They don't care about grades and the effect it could have on their future(grad schools, etc) but just want to make it out alive.
    2. They don't know how to study. I had no idea how to study properly until my Junior year. If I had learned how to study earlier I know I could have learned more. But hey, at least I learned how to study.

    ReplyDelete